Sunday, November 28, 2021

A Day at Sea

Leaving Cádiz at nightfall, we headed out into the Atlantic Ocean. Returning to our room for the evening, we were having a little trouble walking. Neither of us were sure if it was the last drink or the sea causing us to walk abnormally? Having no problem locating the room, we decided it was the sea that was making the walk difficult. If one looks carefully in the picture below, they will see little fish swimming in the carpet. The fish are helpers because they always swim to the bow (pointy end of the ship), and many times were lifesavers from getting lost.



Reaching the room, the sound of the sea and the rain in accompaniment with clanging of lines on the lifeboats provided our symphony to lull us asleep. Tonight would be the first night we slept with our door to the balcony closed. We had been leaving it cracked at night so the sound of the sea and the cool breeze could be enjoyed. Not tonight! There was not enough movement to cause a queasy tummy, but enough to know we were on a boat. Albeit a very big boat, but a boat which will always be at the will of the sea.




We slept the latest we had slept to this point on our journey – 0730! Our deck chairs and table had been relocated in the night and the balcony was sopping wet. I guess we slept through a pretty good storm.




Most of the sea motion from the night before was gone, but there was still some leftover sway to let you know where you were. We venture out for leisurely breakfast to start our day. It was nice to enjoy eating and visiting with other guest versus rushing to our excursion rendezvous point. Today would be a chill day for both of us.

Janet decided to have a gym morning, while I took the spa route. The spa pass would pay for itself on these at sea days, just a great place to unwind. Janet enjoyed her gym time as well. Where else can one get on a machine with such a view and peddle, row, or run 14 stories above the sea. The views are memorizing!




I never took my camera out in the spa area feeling it would be an invasion of privacy, but here is a short video that gives a nice tour of the facility. Video Link: ( NCL EPIC's Mandara Spa )  My routine was usually 15 to 30 minutes in the large hot tub, followed by an herbal steam bath. After 10 or 15 minutes of enjoying some serious eucalyptus sweating, a cold refreshing shower always left me feeling so clean and relaxed. From there I would get wrapped up in a big heavy robe and lay down on the heated stone body conforming lounge chairs. It is here one can easily take a short doze and reach total relaxation, which I did several times.




However, my favorite thing was to go out on the aft balcony and stare out into the sea. Today this vantage point was exceptionally cool with views of the storm we left behind. Janet came to check on me and I had just finished listening to David Gilmour, Live at Royal Albert Hall. I could have stayed on the spa's balcony all day listening to the music and the taking in the view.




By the time I left the spa, the storm was well behind us. The sun had come out and the ship along with  the colors of the sea had become vibrant. A few folks had made out on the deck, but by late afternoon it would be a happening place with bands and people dancing. For me, I like the quiet.




Continuing to walk the ship, I could not help but to stare out to sea. There is absolutely nothing manmade to focus on outside the railings, and yet the nothingness I found overwhelming. Then a small hint of a rainbow in the distance could be seen.




Once back in the room, I did check on the ship’s channel for our location, and I was a little shaken when the monitor reported that the ocean below was almost 14,000 feet deep. Not sure why I felt that way, but it was a little unnerving. Ever since I was in 8th grade, I have been a follower of everything Titanic. From a Night to Remember, the discovery by Dr. Ballard, and the blockbuster movie. The Titanic was one of the reasons I wanted to do this transatlantic voyage. The depth of the water brought back all those memories of the great ship in a burst mode. I still cannot imagine or fathom those who were and are willing to challenge the sea in much smaller vessels. Here’s to the brave souls who made the voyage and to those who did not! I know a little dramatic for a huge cruise ship, but nonetheless when you are staring out at sea all day your mind goes everywhere. Thank you, David Gilmour. 😉

It was while we were in the room when the rainbow picture used in the blog’s banner appeared. Standing on our balcony, we just watched it form in front of us. Just like it was made for our enjoyment and ours alone. I am sure there are many that saw it, but for us it was our moment.




It still amazes me the difference in the sky under the rainbow compared to the color of the sky on the outside of the rainbow. Definitely a sight we will not forget. I took a lot of pictures of this rainbow and the two shades of blue are in all of them.

We headed out to hook up with our friends to play cards and tell stories of our adventures aboard the Epic on the first day at sea. Playing cards at the very front on the 15th deck of the ship offered us a view of what lay ahead. We are headed to Funchal, Madeira and when the sunrises tomorrow we will be docking on this Portuguese island.



No comments:

Post a Comment